Monday 25 July 2011

Wesley (2)

Stacey O'Brien tells the wonderful story of Wesley the barn owl. She gets him, a few days old, takes him everywhere until he is grown enough to stay alone at home during the day. She becomes his mate (or rather her arm...) and Wesley builds nests everywhere for her. When Wesley starts showing his affection to Stacey by embracing her with his wing, my eyes filled with tears.

After many happy years, Stacey gets very ill, only surviving because she knows, that Wesley will die with her due to grieving, when she would. As Wesley gets older, he gets more or less blind, he gets nervous about having enough to eat (mice) around him, and when Wesley - a now real old barn owl - dies, my eyes got wet again.

I really like stories, where someone gets a small animal and they stay together for all of their lives. Such stories are always funny in exactly the right amount, and you always feel more attached to nature after reading them. With Wesley, it was the same. Most of these books have a sad ending, but Wesley touched me the most, I think, because Stacey can describe in a very lovely way, how Wesley "talks" about everything ("don't eat that, I have a mouse for you", "no no, not for owls"), how he reacts to everyone else but Stacey, how they cuddle together... I really loved that book, and I even think about reading it again (after those app. 50 left in my "unread books" shelf).

Wesley gets the full 10 out of 10!


NEXT ONE TO COME: Alice Walker: The Color Purple

No comments:

Post a Comment