Wednesday 3 September 2014

Kathy & Brendan Reichs: Shift

Shift is the second Virals-short story by Kathy & Brendan Reichs. This time, the Virals are facing a robbery on Loggerhead Island, where Torys Dad is now the director. Torys aunt Temperance Brennan is just visiting, so she decides to help solving the case.
The Virals travel in the meantime to Loggerhead in older to do whatever they can to help Torys Dad and the other involved workers to retrieve the stolen computers and laptops.

This short story is even better than Swipe, the reason being, that the abilities of the pack are a little more in focus. It is a little difficult to read, though, as each chapter is told by someone else. This, on the one hand is negative, because it is a little confusing, not to know instantly in which head you are just now, and is positive, because one gets a short glimpse into the mind of characters who usually are not able to get a word in.
So, cool setting (I LOVE LOGGERHEAD ISLAND), cool story, and Tempe knows, that Tory is messing around :-) 9 of 10!

My current book is "The Litter of the Law" from Rita Mae & Sneaky Pie Brown - I have to thank my good friend Manu for helping me decide what to read next, as I already started reading the 6th and final volume of the "Mortal Instruments" (which is currently only available in English, and therefore will be the first of the series, which I read in the original), but when I came home, the new Mrs Murphy mystery was in the postbox, and I could not decide, whether to go on reading City of Heavenly Fire or start with the mystery [I have to say, that the Mrs Murphy crimes are the series I love the most, even though the books are not as good as they where, but I hope, Mrs. Brown will continue, and perhaps regains the fun and strength of the first 12 or so volumes.

No comments:

Post a Comment